Nike Footwear Material Developer II in Portland, Oregon
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
The first spark of a product idea sets the Nike Footwear Product Creation team into motion. The team of footwear developers, testers, engineers and designers strive for product excellence. They obsess over shoes, while collaborating, ideating and refining the product’s construction, fit and style. They use groundbreaking advancements in technology and sustainable design to accelerate innovation. And they work lockstep with Merchandising, Design, Manufacturing and others to produce the final result: products that reflect the soul of sport and inspire athletes to reach new levels of performance.
As our Footwear Material Developer II, you’ll use your materials knowledge and collaborative skills to help create and execute a materials palette and be responsible for the on-time commercialization of resources. You will also be responsible for more complex products and projects as requested by the Materials Leadership team. You'll also collaborate with our Material design teams to create and execute a seasonal category materials palette that support business goals and meet consumer's needs. You'll execute materials that fall between seasonal developments and the longer-term projects as well as commercialize key innovations.. You'll also research fabric trend and new innovations offered. In addition, you'll drive analysis and material reviews that result in gender/category materials consolidation.
Example of types of activities:
• Collaborate with category Material Designer in seasonal category creative direction decisions and meetings. Enable creative objectives through operational activities including vendor validation and material article validation. Drive and enable new material development.
• Provide technical assistance to category product creation teams (primarily Development, Design, and Product Management) as it relates to the application of footwear upper materials.
• Assist categories with application of materials. Provide a perspective across multiple material types (leather, synthetics, and textiles) with an understanding of colorfastness, bonding, abrasion and other performance related mechanical material issues.
• Collaborate with Material Ops Managers and Raw Materials Sourcing to manage capacity on key volume and / or innovation materials.
• Create and manage category material palettes.
• Serve as primary category contact for material suppliers as it relates to category specific issues (price, technical specs, performance).
• Create and maintain material development tools.
• Collaborate with Material Developers across other categories.
Multiple positions will be available
Bachelor's degree in Textiles or equivalent
2 years' experience may be substituted for a degree
5 - 7 years' relevant experience, which may include footwear industry experience or materials development
Strong understanding of textile formation, yarn, fiber, dying, printing and finishing
Knowledge of material types knits, woven’s & non woven’s
Basic working knowledge of MS Office applications
Able to anticipate needs, solve problems, perform research and analyze results
Attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple priorities
Able to negotiate and influence with sensitivity for the creative process
Able to be assertive, self-motivated and work in a team environment
Sensitivity to different cultures, customs and business practices
Apparel design and development process knowledge is strongly preferred
Lab testing and global material experience is a plus
Experience with 3rd party/vendor engagement, materials or related development projects is preferred
Understanding of manufacturing realities and constraints preferred
Ability to interpret design intent and offer alternative solutions preferred
Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Job ID: SRC07192017FWMATDEV2
Location: United States-Oregon-Portland
Job Category: Global Footwear Product Creation, Product Development