Nike Men's Apparel Technical Designer II in Massachusetts
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
That art school word ‘aesthetic’ comes in handy again. The look and feel of Converse gets funneled through this crew. From Events to Online to Retail to Photography to Messaging, Brand Design is the artistic hand on the color wheel. If you’re looking for a motley band of artists and thinkers, then look no further. We all know what “aesthetic” means, too. We just don’t use it because it’s cheesy.
As the Technical Designer II – you will utilize advanced technical knowledge related to product fit, fabric patternmaking, and construction to provide leadership for the product line.
You will be responsible for:
Defining and Managing Fit:
• Drive the designed concept point of view and maintain the desired fit strategy for the season.
• Establish fit blocks with each vendor and maintain fit consistency throughout the lines
• Provide pattern making and fitting expertise to the team and follow through with vendors.
• Review and fit samples, and provide detailed pattern corrections for best fit and construction
• Manage fit sessions with design, production and merchandising providing details to team that effect cost and markup
• Maintain calendar deadlines
• Work closely with design to understand the creative vision of the line for each season and translate design flat sketch into 3-dimensional product
• Collaborate with Design and production teams to clarify each design concept and achieve target markup
• Provide technical recommendations to design staff to achieve design concepts and category initiatives
• Anticipate and advise alternative solutions to construction at development sketch handoff
• Represent design as needed in follow-up and decision making related to trim details and the overall aesthetics of each style after prototype review
• Translate and/or communicate design concept to generate a 2-dimensional pattern (i.e. using CAD to generate a pattern in-house or instructing factory) that incorporates proportional lines, desired fit and construction feasibility
• Apply knowledge of grading, fabrics, fit to assist costing and final markup
• Collaborate and develop the most innovative and challenging construction details to elevate design concepts
• Create and communicate pattern revisions, incorporating styling and fit changes
• Maintain dated sample documentation in PLM ,sample received dates, detailed fit corrections and graded specifications approved by calendar due dates
• Catalog construction standards for use in manufacturing as best methods
• Audit PPS and TOP samples for final check on requested fit and construction
• Provide technical expertise related to product fit, patterns and construction
• Mentor others to build their knowledge, skills and contribution
• Lead process improvements as related to fit/pattern/construction
• Maintain and communicate accurate records of reports and communications
• BA in Textile Development and at least 5 years working in textile development and operations.
• Experience in apparel and/or accessories preferred
• Basic technical knowledge of knit and woven fabrications
• Ability to negotiate and build consensus across multiple functions
• Working knowledge and understanding of the product creation and development process
• Proven ability to work closely and partner effectively with designers
• Mill relationships
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to regularly interface with and influence teams
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel preferred.
• Experience with Creative Culture preferred
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Job ID: 00336520
Location: United States-Massachusetts-
Job Category: Design, Digital & Technology